During the year, I led a prayer
meeting centered upon praying through the Lord’s Prayer (Mathew 6:9-13). It was
about 4 weeks long and great stuff happened. I wanted to share one testimony
that happened during the course of those meetings.
We were centering our prayer around
asking God to let His Kingdom come and His will to be done on earth (and Mesa!)
as it is in heaven when a student came up. We had just asked God to touch
student’s hearts and bring them to turn back to Him when Matt (name is changed
to protect his identity) came where we were praying on the campus in front of
the LRC. I had known Matt only in
passing having met him during one of our “on-tempo” meetings (our weekly large
group gathering where about 20 students typically gathered). He proceeded to
tell me that he had just found out that he was going to be a father from a
relationship that he wasn’t even part of anymore. I was a bit thrown off and
didn’t know whether he was a Christian even or not. I found out some more
details and saw that this guy was a bit beat up as he was trying to figure out
what to do.
As you should already know, I was
facing the same choices that this guy was now facing about 7 years prior. Here
he was going through his choices. He wasn’t with the girl any more, should he
get back with her, is it even his kid, should he marry her, should he go
through with having the child at all, and who knows what else (this is a list
and may not be very accurate by the way). I was trying to figure out what to do
and even was reminding this guy that he has responsibilities now. I felt a bit
hypocritical but at the same time, I knew there is still a right thing to do
even if I hadn’t quite figured it out back during my time. I actually shared
with him about my journey and tried to encourage him to do and seek out the
right thing.
I had a feeling this guy wasn’t
really walking with God much, but could see that God was interacting with him
and even using me. It was a crazy, but great place to be. He was openly confessing
that God felt distant and He couldn’t hear from him. It wasn’t long before he
mentioned a hip-hop song that he felt was coming to his mind lately that
related to what we were talking about. What he said reminded me of this: “For
whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for
My sake and for the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he
gains the whole world, and loses his own soul” Mark 8:35-36? So, before we knew
it “on-tempo” was going to start. Before it started, I knew this guy was
getting tugged on by Jesus and I wanted him to get touched. I challenged him to
come to our group to hear from God and he decided to attend the talk.
Amazingly, the very message we were learning from that night was from Mark 8
and consisted of the passage with those very verses we had just been
discussing. At the end of the gathering I went to him and made sure to
emphasize that it seemed God had been speaking to him.
It was amazing to see God pursue
and bring broken students to Himself and even use another broken (but mending)
person as His instrument. I have to say that I didn’t see any change or
response come from Matt in responding to God that night. Yet, I do now. Later I was stoked to find out that he was
and is intentionally pursuing a relationship with his son and his
ex-girlfriend. Matt didn’t run away or deny his child but is pursuing what
seemed to be the right thing. I am proud of him.
Please join with me in asking for
his heart to be completely soft to Jesus and following Him. Please pray for Him
to find God’s will. Please pray for him to give his life up in the name of
following Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.