Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Discipleship: A Small Seed is Becoming a Great Tree


“I don’t feel anything.” Logan said at our first large group of the year. He had just accepted Jesus in to his heart. He seemed to be looking for some great sign from heaven or sensation. I didn’t know what was going on either and was hoping for a Baptism from the Holy Spirit. Why didn’t the Holy Spirit give him that radical sensation that I had once experienced? I thought maybe he didn’t quite understand the message of grace, and so I asked if he realized his need for a Savior. He didn’t say much except that he wanted to experience God’s love. All I could tell him was to walk by faith and believe that what he did that night mattered. That there was indeed a radical transaction and that God would meet him.

In the next months, God would continue to meet Logan and make him a pillar in our student population of believers. It’s been particularly great seeing God interact with Logan through prayer and how his faith has increased and is now encountering the Living God. In the past, I would imagine this guy would describe God as an unlikely possibility and not at all close if He existed at all. Now it is apparent, God has met him. Here is one brief testimony about where Logan is at today:

Every year we take students to Catalina to study the bible for their spring break. They actually spend around 7 hours a day studying the bible. Isn’t that crazy in of itself? Well, that is not the crazy part of this story. Logan told me that at the beginning of his trip, he was frustrated and had no faith. He admitted he was in a bad place at the beginning until some timely advice helped him to stay engaged and start to try and figure out what God wanted to do that week, in him and in his community. At some point he started to believe and said that his faith turned from that small mustard seed into the great tree discussed in Mark 4:30-32. He proceeded to say that during the week he prayed for people. I learned he didn’t just pray for people but he prayed for people to get healed from their injuries and illness. When he was telling me this story I was tripping out. He told me 4 people got healed!X#$#% when he prayed for them.


Who would’ve ever thought this guy would be praying for people to physically get healed. I sure didn’t.

All I can say is that God has met Logan. He has met him in spite of his doubts and through prayer. God has been meeting him and the once agnostic is believing. He is not just believing but he is living for Jesus and going more and more in with Him seeing His name lifted up and His Kingdom coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.